Monday, November 20, 2017

A Five Year Anniversary

Not my wedding anniversary ( that will be 50 years in March)  but five years ago today that I had open heart surgery.   I've shared before and I'm sure I will share again how grateful I am that the Lord not only spared my life but how He showed His love and His amazing Sovereignty that week.  I was sent next door to the hospital after a consultation with a Cardiologist that Monday morning and scheduled for the first surgery the next morning.  I was very upset.  I didn't know how we would pay for the angiogram let alone an open heart surgery.  I cried to the Lord, not understanding why He would not prevent this for 10 more days when we would have full insurance coverage.  You know from previous posts that Psalms 34 is one of my favorite passages in the Bible. Example November 8 post. 
But some of the other verses in that Psalm are verses 17 and 18 "The righteous cry and the Lord hears and delivers them out of their troubles. The Lord is near to the broken hearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit."  Well my (physical) heart was definitely broken and I was very discouraged.
But after tears and prayer and more tears, I finally gave it up to the Lord.  "Lord, even if it means that we have to sell our house to pay for this, You know and You will take care of us.  'I will praise You no matter what happens and I will constantly speak of Your glories and Your grace.' "
After my surgery, my husband went home to pick up the mail and feed the dogs.  In the mail was a letter explaining Cobra Insurance.  Bottom line is we could self pay our back 3 months of insurance (Sept, Oct., November) even though it was November 20.  Our insurance covered over $150,000.00 of my surgery and hospital stay !   God knew all along.  Why do I doubt His goodness ever?
I know some of you don't believe in God, our Creator and Sovereign Lord.  I know some of you have big questions like why He does wonders for some and not for others.  I don't know all the answers but I do know that He loves each one of you. 

1 comment:

  1. What an encouraging story! I have been studying the names of God lately, and the one that I keep coming back to is "Almighty!" So thankful that I can trust my life to Him and even when things go wrong, I know that He can give me grace and strength to go through those dark valleys...and He has.
    Something that has helped me over the years is this bit of wisdom from a Sunday School teacher.... "Everyone goes through bad things in life. Trouble, sorrow, hard stuff, and even death comes to everyone. The big difference is that those who trust in God have a friend to walk with them through the valley!"

    ReplyDelete